Support & Service Engineer
We are a well-funded, high-growth scale-up company aiming to disrupt and make history in the tunnelling industry and the wider world of engineering.
We have an immediate requirement to hire a Support & Service Engineer within our growing team in Basingstoke.
You are a Support & Service Engineer reporting to the Operations Director.
You will develop a full understanding of the design, construction, testing and maintenance (Mechanical, electrical, electronic, control, systems) for the various physical hyperTunnel toolsets including the fleet of robotics, sub systems and supporting systems.
You will initially support and optimise the ongoing construction and development of the robotic fleet at the factory with the engineers.
When the fleet of robotics and supporting systems is deployed into the field, you will act as the engineer responsible for undertaking both planned and unplanned maintenance in support of the toolsets. In addition, upon completion of repair or maintenance of bots and/or tools you will clearly convey the outcome or actions required to the engineering team at head office.
Initial period – 6 months (may vary)
- Assist physically with the construction of the mechanical, electrical, electronic, control and system hardware of the robotic fleet and its toolsets
- Assist physically with the construction, verification, commissioning, and maintenance of related physical hardware associated with the robots and supporting equipment
- Generation of processes and documentation as required to proactively and efficiently ensure the robotic fleet support programme is in place, and robots (and associated systems) are kept operational in the field with minimal downtime. This may include (but not limited to) Spares and stock planning, Documentation generation, establishing SOPs (Standard Operating procedures and SMP (Standard maintenance procedures)
- Developing practical processes for tracking and maintaining spares stock
- Assist or own the quarantine process for parts returning from the robotic fleet, its toolsets or supporting equipment
In addition to maintaining the above ‘Initial period’ activities this could consist:-
- Travelling to and staying present at project sites in the UK and internationally as required
- Acting as support and service engineer for maintaining the robotic fleet and supporting equipment in operational condition to minimise or eliminate downtime (Mechanical, electrical, electronic, control, system)
- Conveying performance data and/or information relating to the running of the robotic tools back to engineers at head office
- Coordinating and/or undertaking the carriage of equipment or robots back to base for maintenance that cannot be completed in the field
- Working with the engineering team to root-cause and troubleshoot issues arising, including generation of remedial plans.
- Generating and supporting ongoing processes and systems to facilitate the effective support of the hyperTunnel tools, robots, supporting equipment
- Generating preventative maintenance strategies for the robots and associated systems
- Work with the team to collate and agree solutions to issues arising with the robots and systems
- Updating user manuals as required
- Acting as guide and mentor to junior engineers where required to support the team objective
- Occasional presentation of service and support activities to management and board level
- Escalate issues arising that cannot be addressed directly as part of the function
- Identifying business opportunities arising from the role (Engineering/operational/application improvements, etc.)
- Other office and site based activities required to support the team objective
This role requires the following attributes:
- have a keen interest and hands on aptitude in Mechanical and Electrical engineering (essential).
- have a keen interest and aptitude in controls engineering including fault finding, basic configuration and programming. (Training can be given for software based activities where required)
- be reliable, organised, motivated, with good communication skills and a high attention to detail.
- be able to manage and efficiently prioritise their own workload
- be a problem solver with a can do attitude
- be able to take instructions and must be a team player
- take pride in their work with a strong focus on quality
- be able to meet agreed deadlines
- be keen to learn and grow their skills set to meet any gaps in the job description they do not fulfil.
- have a full UK driver’s licence
Qualifications & Experience
It is expected that you will have the following qualifications/experience:
- Mechanical engineering and Electrical engineering
A company vehicle will be provided as the role facilitates the use of a van. If your application is successful, you will be required to share your driving licence record with hyperTunnel by providing a check code via www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence.
If your application is successful, on offer will be a competitive salary plus the hyperTunnel company benefits of Private Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Mobile Allowance, Contributory Pension Scheme, Employee Share Option Scheme, Discretionary Bonus Scheme.
If you are interested in this position, please email and confirm whether you have a British or Irish passport or have been granted a visa to work in the UK. You can prove your right to work to an employer by obtaining a Share Code Online via: www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work/get-a-share-code-online.