This position has been filled
We are a well-funded, high-growth scale-up company aiming to disrupt and make history in the tunnelling and underground construction industry. We have an immediate requirement to hire a Senior Mechanical Engineer within our growing team in Basingstoke.
You are a Senior Mechanical Engineer, who will report to the Head of Design.
hyperTunnel have built the world’s first underground structure constructed entirely by a small fleet of robots. You will be part of a strong team taking the prototype system to production. You will take the lessons learnt from the first robot tunnel build and combine it with your expertise to develop the next generation of robotic toolsets. You will use your experience and knowledge to shape the product and solution roadmap. If you are looking for a role with high levels of autonomy where your day-to-day work will have significant impact and visibility, then you will thrive at hyperTunnel.
The commercial platform will be able to monitor, maintain, repair and enlarge existing assets as well as build new tunnels or underground structures. It utilises state of the art technology for underground survey, developing innovative chemistries for underground 3D printing with significantly reduced carbon footprint. It is designed to build kilometres of tunnel in months rather than years by using a swarm of 1000’s of robots all operating silently under the ground with minimal impact to the surrounding environment. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will be used through all levels of the system from intelligent motion control and toolsets to optimisation simulations that are used to optimise the fleet across contracts. At the centre of the system will be a digital twin; the central hub for running and visualising the simulation, as well as monitoring and optimising the actual contract as it progresses. You will have the opportunity to work closely with experts in these fields to grow your knowledge and understanding of these technologies.
- Working collaboratively with our Controls, Software, Chemical, Geotechnical Engineers:
- Develop innovative mechanical systems to address engineering challenges
- Develop prototypes and models to de-risk development and gain understanding
- Test systems as part of the ongoing development
- Support the cost down of our product range to achieve the production cost targets
- Develop products that will be integrated into solutions for our clients
- Mechanical design authority for our range of robotic products
- Ability to develop proof of concept systems using rapid prototyping techniques
- Ability to transition concepts to robust manufacturable products
- Introduce and support best practice and lean processes
- Ensure designed products meet safety and regulatory standards
- Support progress through the technology roadmap to achieve key commercial objectives
The applicant must be/have:
- Driven, enthusiastic and tenacious
- Assertive character, able to clearly communicate with, and work effectively within the team
- Ability to ‘start simple’ when addressing challenges or issues
- Strong quality focus, but with pragmatic approach to achieve business outcomes
- Innovative problem solver with conscious ability to differentiate short term and longer term solutions
- Details driven and happy to ‘roll up your sleeves’ to drive a solution to a successful outcome
- Flexible approach and keen to learn new skills
- Keen to learn with the business as we progress through the technology roadmap
Qualifications and Experience
- 2:1 mechanical Engineering Degree or Equivalent
- 5 years minimum experience in similar engineering environment with demonstrable high achievement
- Experience with the full design lifecycle including design reviews and the stage gate process or similar
- Strong CAD modelling and data management skills (Solidworks & PDM an advantage)
- Strong manufacturing documentation generation skills (Drawings, BoMs, GD&T, etc.)
- Complex calculations associated with design of systems
- Finite Element simulation and optimisation of parts
- Ability to project manage your own delivery to meet defined objectives
- Strong Mechanical system design with interface to electrical, electronics and control
- Specification and application of motors, drives, sensors for motion control and power transmission
- Confident design of dynamic mechanical systems, linkages, actuators, rotating mechanisms, power transmission, fluid handling, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc.
- Strong material selection experience
- Strong specification writing skills
- Design of products to the machinery directive to achieve CE/UKCA compliance
- Risk assessment and mitigation planning (including FMEA)
- Working in a structured manner to commission systems to the point of production readiness
- Specifying test regimes and design of test equipment for components or systems
- Full product lifecycle from concept through to verification and validation
- Ability to present technically to Board level
- Experience of robotic or similar systems design
- Ability to build and support build of prototypical systems
- Experience of taking prototype solutions through to production readiness
- Experience of managing and mentoring junior engineers
- Commercial awareness
hyperTunnel Offer if successful
Competitive salary plus the hyperTunnel company benefits of Private Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Mobile Phone Allowance, Contributory Pension Scheme, Employee Share Option Scheme, Discretionary Bonus Scheme.
The role is based full time in Basingstoke however hT has developed a modern hybrid approach to working to suit the company and, as much as possible, the individual. You may be required to travel (both within the UK and internationally) for business purposes as required.
If you are interested in this position, please email us with your CV. hyperTunnel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that respects, supports and inspires all individuals and in which HR processes are merit-based and applied without any discrimination.