Senior C++ Systems Software Engineer
We are a well-funded, high-growth scale-up company aiming to disrupt and make history in the tunnelling industry and the wider world of engineering. We have an immediate requirement to hire a Senior C++ Systems Software Engineer within our growing team in Basingstoke.
You are a Senior C++ Systems Software Engineer who will report to the Head of Software
hyperTunnel has built the world’s first underground structure constructed entirely by a small fleet of swarming robots. We now plan to fully commercialise our process and will be further enhancing the software that will control the bots in a swarm as well as represent this entire process in a Digital Twin.
- Develop and optimize C++ applications for data-acquisition, real-time data-processing, and control.
- Develop digital-twin rendering and simulation applications in a robotics context.
- Develop high-performance production applications and libraries from prototype code.
- Implement complex algorithms and data structures in C++ to solve specific problems e.g. robot scheduling.
- Design and implement system-components using modern C++ (11-20) and object-oriented methods.
- Work with multithreading and concurrency, understanding the intricacies of synchronization, race conditions, and deadlock resolution.
- Integrate third-party libraries and APIs for extended functionality.
- Write robust, testable, and maintainable code; conduct rigorous code reviews.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to define requirements and deliver innovative solutions
The applicant must be/have:
- Driven, enthusiastic and tenacious.
- Assertive character, able to clearly communicate with, and work effectively within the wider team.
- Ability to ‘start simple’ when addressing challenges or issues.
- Strong quality focus, but with pragmatic approach to achieve business outcomes.
- Innovative problem solver with conscious ability to differentiate short term and longer-term solutions.
- Details driven and happy to ‘roll up your sleeves’ to drive a solution to a successful outcome.
- Flexible approach and keen to learn new skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- Over 10 years of professional experience in advanced C++ development.
- Experience with Agile software-development practices.
- Proficient in advanced C++ concepts, including templates.
- Experience with real-time systems, performance and resource optimization.
- Familiarity with network programming, sockets, and communication protocols.
- Demonstrable experience with version control systems, preferably Github.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- Contributions to major C++ projects or active engagement in the C++ community.
- Experience with multithreaded development (both task-parallel and data-parallel).
- Experience with object-oriented design and SOLID principles.
- Experience with CUDA or other GPU-compute platform/API (optional).
- Experience with Unreal Engine (optional).
- Experience with shader programming (HLSL etc, optional).
- Experience with Boost C++ libraries (optional).
hyperTunnel Offer if successful
Competitive salary plus the hyperTunnel company benefits of Private Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Mobile Phone Allowance, Contributory Pension Scheme, Employee Share Option Scheme, Discretionary Bonus Scheme.
The role is based in Basingstoke.
You may be required to travel (both within the UK and internationally) for business purposes as required.
If your application is successful, you will be required to share your driving licence record as ID (if you have a licence) with hyperTunnel by providing a check code via www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence.
If you are interested in this position, please email us with your CV and confirm whether you have a British or Irish passport or have been granted a visa to work in the UK.
hyperTunnel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that respects, supports and inspires all individuals and in which HR processes are merit-based and applied without any discrimination.